3.10.2007

The Energy Policy Act of 2005

If you are in North America, then don't forget to adjust your clock 1 hour faster before going to bed tonight. Is the winter over? Not yet. We are used to "springing forward" early April (in the Spring), but starting this year, it will be 3 weeks earlier.

Why the change? Honestly, are we really saving more energy by springing forward 3 weeks earlier? As far as I'm concerned, we are introducing more problems. Our calendars (such as Lotus Notes, Outlook) will not adjust automatically because they still think there are 3 more weeks to go before springing forward, our digital devices (such as PDAs, cell phones) won't know either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_Policy_Act_of_2005

Actually, I really don't understand the whole concept of DST. If we use less energy in the morning, don't we just use more energy in the evening since we are still up??? I guess because I'm from Hong Kong and Asian countries do not have this concept, it is hard for me to see the benefit in all this. I would understand having DST back in the farming days, but in the days of TV, game consoles and Internet, we are using electricity 24 hours, what does the clock have to do with it?

Maybe I'm just biased - somebody educate me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's all a scam....on the other hand I believe in conspiracy so....